Sherwood Archers became a reality in the spring of 1948 when
a group of interested bowbenders got together and formed
a field archery club. The range, at that time, was located just
off Electric Road, (Rt. 419), on property now occupied by Carter
Machinery. In 1956 the range, twenty-eight targets, was moved to
the foot of Fort Lewis Mountain on property owned by a Mrs. Ella
Lee. In return for the use of the land, Sherwood paid Mrs. Lee's
real estate taxes.